A Fondo is a cycling tradition in which bicycle riders by the hundreds (and sometimes thousands) tour the countryside in an event that's part cycling, and part festive celebration. On Saturday and Sunday, June 27 and 28, Orange County's Black Dirt agricultural region will host the Colavita / FineCooking Farm to Fork Fondo, combining cycling through theregion's bucholic scenery with gourmet, farm to table foods along the way. 500 lucky cyclists will join the women of the Colavita | Bianchi Professional Cycling Team presented by Fine Cooking in a mass-start, fully-supported Fondo.
Cyclists will have a choice of four routes, from a casual "ramble" ride, to a 94 mile Gran Fondo including a punishing ascent up Belvale Mountain. Cyclists can compete in Ride With GPS timed segments, enjoy magnificent views, and aid station stops at area farms featuring locally-sourced hors d'oeuvres.
The weekend event is centered aroung Cedar Lake Estates, one of the sponsors of the event, featuring activities on both Saturday and Sunday:
ACTIVITIES AT CEDAR LAKES ESTATE
Saturday, June 27
- 5 to 8pm Packet pickup with cash bar and The Bicycle Doctor Tune-Up Station open
- 5pm Zaza and the Perfect Summer Pie pizza-cooking class, presented by Colavita
- 6pm Talk on local agriculture from the Cornell University Cooperative Extension Orange County 7pm Farm to Fork Plated Garden Dinner (tickets required)
Sunday, June 28
- 6 to 8:30am Packet pickup, Colavita Italian Coffee Station, and Joe Fix Its Tune-Up Station open
- 9am Farm to Fork Fondo (Piccolo, Medio and Gran) departs (pre-registration required)
- 9:30am Ramble Ride departs
- 12 to 6pm Farm to Fork Post-Ride Barbecue open (tickets required)
- 5pm New Holland Volunteer Competition Awards Ceremony
Participants and observers can enjoy activities both days at Cedar Lakes, including live music, local and cycling industry vendors, lake and pool swimming, the blob, zip-lining, boating and canoeing, games for kids and hiking the area trails.