So, you’ve decided to sell your house. You’ve hired a real estate professional to help you through the entire process, and they have asked you what level of access to buyers you want to provide.
There are four elements to a quality listing. At the top of the list is Access, followed by Condition, Financing, and Price. There are many levels of access that you can provide to your agent so that he or she can show your home.
Here are several levels of access that you can give for a buyer who wants to show your home:
- Lockbox on the Door – this allows buyers the ability to see the home as soon as they are aware of the listing, or at their convenience.
- Providing a Key to the Home – although the buyer’s agent may need to stop by an office to pick up the key, there is little delay in being able to show the home.
- Open Access with a Phone Call – the seller allows showings with just a phone call’s notice.
- By Appointment Only (example: 48-Hour Notice) – Many buyers who are relocating for a new career or promotion start working in that area prior to purchasing their home. They often like to take advantage of free time during business hours (such as their lunch break) to view potential homes. Because of this, they may not be able to plan their availability far in advance or may be unable to wait 48 hours to see the house.
- Limited Access (example: the home is only available on Mondays or Tuesdays at 2pm or for only a couple of hours a day) – This is the most difficult way to be able to show your house to potential buyers.
Obviously the best access is using an electronic lock box. They are the most reliable, secure way to be sure only qualified REALTORS® from the Hudson Gateway Multiple Listing Service (HGMLS) to show your house. Electronic lock boxes must be activated by an HGMLS REALTOR'S® smart phone. When they do, the lock box records the date and time and identity of the person opening the box. This capability tells you and your agent who was there and when they came. Should anything be wrong after the showing - a door left open, lights left on, or something missing inside the house - you will know exactly who was there.
With May proving to be the best month to sell your home, access can make or break your ability to get the price you are looking for, or even sell your house at all.