Wednesday, December 16, 2015 / by Vanessa Saunders
Your front door is the gateway to your home and should reflect your personal style and add to your home's overall curb appeal. It is an architectural element and a great way to add fun and appealing decorating elements. The design of the front door has gone beyond being a utilitarian entrance to being a statement. Your choice of door and how you enhance the space around it are a great way to set your house apart .
Here are some of the latest and greatest design trends in front doors.
- Bigger is better. Larger doors and double doors are very popular and not only are dramatic but can be very practical for moving large items in and out of the home. Doors that incorporate windows or decorative glass are very popular, especially if they include period elements like stained or beveled glass. Doors are also using higher quality materials and the latest in construction technology to provide strength and insulation.
- Bold colors. A door painted in a bright pop of color against the more neutral background of a home's construction has become the latest trend in outdoor décor. These bright and bold accent shades draw the eye and provide a great deal of visual appeal. Depending on where you are in the country, consider colors like red, yellow and orange in the Southwest and Southeast, or bright primary colors in the Northeast and Midwest.
- Rustic, reclaimed materials. Doors are being made out of a variety of materials including architectural salvage items from older homes, churches and public buildings. Incorporating these vintage pieces adds a surprising and interesting element to any home's entryway. Recently there has been a trend in using barn doors to make a rustic statement in many homes.
- Bright and light. Light up your entrance with hanging lanterns, outdoor-safe chandeliers or wall-mounted sconces that reflect the architectural period of your home to make your door a safe and inviting entryway.
- Well-chosen hardware. Choosing coordinated hardware is another way to tie together the elements of your front door and add a final polish to the look. Quirky or elegant door knockers, letter plates, kick plates, vintage door bells and house numbers are all ways to add personality to the entry. Wrought iron, bright brass, oil-rubbed bronze and silver are all trending right now.
- Incorporate plants and landscaping. An entranceway doesn't begin and end with the front door. The walkway, the steps and the area just in front of the doorway are all part of the welcoming experience. Dramatic planters with bright flowers or topiaries that accent the color scheme of the door and the house provide another element of visual appeal. Reclaimed items such as galvanized tubs or barrels are very popular right now as well as reproduction pieces of classic styles.
Whether you're looking to sell your home or simply want to spruce up the entrance, these are great tips that will keep your home looking fresh and inviting.